Показано с 1 по 10 из 10.

Difficult to Detect Computer Virus

Junior Member Репутация
    Вес репутации

Difficult to Detect Computer Virus

Greetings and thanks in advance for your help.

The problem with my computer is identified by me as follows;

In Control Panel the icons for hhe following have a small image (like the Windows Update shield) superimposed on them at the bottom right hand side.
    Add hardware
    Device Manager
    iSCSI Initiator
    Parental Controls
    I seem to have got rid of this little image which was on the icons for a number of programmes, More or less all of the infected programs were utility programs including,
    Revo Uninstall
    TuneUp Utilities
    Driver Genius Professional
    CCleaner
    Advanced System Care
    And All Anti Virus Programmes
    All other Virus checks have indicated that the system is clean. This is not true. It has a very malicious Virus which has reappeared even after a full format of the hard disk.

Senior Member Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация
    Вес репутации
    Hi,
    I could not find any malware traces in your logs.
    Recommended:
    - Remove Bonjour
    - Remove TuneUp
    - Install SP2 for Vista.

Junior Member Репутация
    Вес репутации

Thanks but The problem remains

Firstly may I thnak you for your quick and efficient response to my initial request for help.
    I followed your 3 instruction to the letter.
    Unfortunately I found that the virus remains. It was back in evidence on the desktop and is identified as a small image (like the Windows Update shield) superimposed on theprogramme's icon at the bottom right hand side.
    I have removed some of the previous programmes but the following programme icons on the desktop had the icon with the image:
    Iobit Security 360
    Avast-pro_setup.exe
    <b>Other programmes with the problem include</b>;
    unins000.exe (Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool)
    is-NACSP.exp (Kaspersky Anti Virus)
    avz.exe (AVZ Anti Viral Toolkit)
    Setup_ClearProg_1.6.0_Final_neu.exe
    Setup_ClearProgPlugins.exe
    SetupImgBurn_2.5.0.0.exe
    siw.exe
    revouninstaller.exe
    bcwipe3.exe
    mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe
    Process.Check.exe
    removeitpro_trial.exe
    Control Panel:
    Add Hardware
    Device Manager
    iSCSI Initiator
    Parental Controls
    I have used Virus Removal Tools from many different sources as well as online checkers but they do not find anything. I think the virus is already in control. I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to eliminate this problem but am no further forward. I would appreciate it if you could advise me on what I should do next. Thanks again.

Senior Member Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация
    Вес репутации
    Hi,
    we could help, if we could see anything suspicious in the log files, also if we could detect any backdoor or rootkit. AVZ cannot detect either file viruses or non-viral problems.
    You can try to check yor system from any LiveCD from Kaspersky, Norton, Dr. Web or Avira or reinstall your system.

Junior Member Репутация
    Вес репутации

Thanks Again

Thanks for your reply. I will try to attach the latest Hijack This log report for you to have a look at. I would appreciate it. I would very much like to identify this virus and eliminate it before I had to reinstall my system.
    I have already tried to reinstall my system and took care to only use the installation disks that came with the computer. However the virus reappeared. Perhaps you have a better idea than me of how to ensure that my hard drive is thoroughly cleaned before the reinstallation process.
    Once again, I must repeat my appreciation of all your help.

Вес репутации
    Hi,
    why are you so sure, it's a virus? I see nothing malicious.

Junior Member Репутация
    Вес репутации

Possible Explanation

Hi
    I have done a little more research into my problem with the 'undetectable virus' and am hoping that perhaps I do not have a virus at all. In an earlier post I listed all the programs that have the windows security shield on their icons including some in control panel. Would it be possible that the security shield icon means that the application requires elevated “administrative” privileges to run? If a user clicks on the icon a UAC (User Access Control) prompt will appear. I would appreciate your expert views. If this is indeed the case then I will proceed to my balcony and jump off as even I did not realise that I was quite that thick.

Вес репутации
    Цитата Сообщение от anthupnorth Посмотреть сообщение
    I will proceed to my balcony and jump off .
    It would be the worst solution, or - more exactly - it's not any solution at all .
    Remove all unnecessary Quasi-Security-Applications, leave only antivirus and - if you want - firewall. It's really possible that this or that might-to-be-security-or-tuning-program change the icons.
    BTW: I have TuneUp under suspect - it's really bullsh*t and can install it's own icon-design
    Последний раз редактировалось Rene-gad; 04.11.2009 в 11:07.

Junior Member Репутация
    Вес репутации

Thanks for resolving my problem

Hi
    I have removed TuneUp as you advised. I have also run the Kaspewrsky rescue CD, thus the delay in my response to your msg. It took over 24 hours and reported nothing. I think I am now 'clean' as far as I can tell. I have also removed the 'Quasi-Security-Applications' as you suggested.
    I therefore thank you for all your help and I will keep a note of this site for the future as well as recommending it to friends, customers and colleagues. I must brush up my Russian.
    If ever you are in Kuwait, do feel free to contact me and come round for a nice cup of tea.

Вес репутации
    I must brush up my Russian.
    It's a difficult language, do it , but if you mean, you need it really
    If ever you are in Kuwait, do feel free to contact me and come round for a nice cup of tea.
    OK, TYVM