Показано с 1 по 6 из 6.

Firewalls are a Joke.

Junior Member Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация
    Вес репутации

Firewalls are a Joke.

Цитата Сообщение от Greg Hoglund at rootkitdotcom
    yeah, personal firewalls are a joke, they are ALL bypassed.
    Techniques which will allow bypass of the majority of modern proactive protection and firewalls.

Rules are two kinds - global rules and rules for applications. Generally speaking, at the heart of bypass of any protection are 1) assumptions, 2) exceptions, and 3) errors made by developers of protection.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация
    Вес репутации
    The assumption by Mr. Greg Hoglund himself seems to be that everybody is so stupid as to allow stuff onto their computer that *can* bypass 'Protection'.
    Besides, his techniques won't work if the user is in Restricted User Mode...

Paul

Вес репутации
    So, Unless I am already infected with something or some vulnerability becomes leveraged, I should be OK surfing with Limited account or Standard account, Firewall, AV and Firefox, barring dodgy site or link there to?
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация Репутация
    Вес репутации
    Цитата Сообщение от Simple10 Посмотреть сообщение
    So, Unless I am already infected with something or some vulnerability becomes leveraged, I should be OK surfing with Limited account or Standard account, Firewall, AV and Firefox, barring dodgy site or link there to?
    Of course. Safe-hex is still the best way to go if you don't want to get infected.

Paul

Вес репутации
    So, then why did the DoD make the statement "We no longer rely on Firewalls to protect our computers, our focus is now on detection and tracking."?
    -Albert Einstein

Вес репутации
    Цитата Сообщение от Simple10 Посмотреть сообщение
    So, then why did the DoD make the statement "We no longer rely on Firewalls to protect our computers, our focus is now on detection and tracking."?
    Because that's what he is paid for.
    P.S. If you 'detect' anything, this means that your security policy has failed. I'm on Windows XP Home with no firewall or anti-virus installed. Of course tools exist to check the system. Nobody has 'detected' anything on my system, ever!

Paul